

When I read the following passage, "Nothing is regimented, and plants require no money for their beauty." on page 28 of Boderlands by John Stilgoe, I was instantly reminded of my own yard. According to Stilgoe, the original, historic yards of suburban, or borderland homes, were left natural and this rusticity was seen as one of the many charms suburban living could offer. Trees were left natural because they provided privacy and protection from the elements, and this is exactly what my trees provide for me. Although not typical of today's cookie-cutter standards (my home was built in 1984), my yard is natural and pristine.
My yard is ninety percent wild, with only a postage-size strip of grass by the mailbox. This small piece of grass, which is the only regularly manicured section of my yard, is now brown and crunches under foot from the on-going drought. My yard is now completely out of my hands. I must admit that at first I found my yard somewhat unappealing. I take this as evidence that I was brain-washed by the popularity of of a manicured lawn, or at least, that is what I had grown accustomed to. Although I sometimes miss having more open green space and a garden, I have fallen in love with the natural beauty of my little piece of earth. In addition, I have come to love the freedom that not having to keep up with a high maintenance lawn has afforded me. In case you were curious, I live in the East Cobb/Roswell area.
No comments:
Post a Comment