Jasmine at Pleasentdale is a product of the late 1980's, with about 1,800 units on the entire development. The design of the development is intended to make you think it is an exclusive community, and perhaps that's the clientele they wanted. In todays reality however the development is just like any other periphery working class community of Atlanta. If you want to see a plan of the development, below is a link.
The construction and design:
As I have illuded before the designers obviously tried to make this place seem like an exclusive community. For instance there are fences around the front and a double gate which acts as the single entrance for the community. The interesting thing about the gates isn't that they don't work but that they can't work. The gates were installed prior to paving the road and as a result one side is below road grade, so it can no longer close. Another example of the "cheapest materials, by the simplest of construction methods" is my ceiling. The upstairs neighbors have a cute little kid that loves to jump. Due to poor construction, when the kid jumps, I can watch as my ceiling bows in. Another charming feature is the tennis courts. In all 7 months of living here I have seen the tennis courts used only once for their intended purpose. In comparison, I have seen them used 20-30 times at least by the little latino kids for soccer, or parties. I feel it's a real shame because as you can see above they're double tennis courts enclosed by a huge structure.
The design of the apartments is very basic and exactly the same for every apartment building. The only difference is the color, either beige or sage. Another interesting feature is that every unit has a balcony area, however few balconies have a view of anything other than a parking lot.
No comments:
Post a Comment